Dust off the Dishwasher!
So you’re moving into a new property and, hoorah, it has a dishwasher! However, you have no idea how long it’s been since it was last used – or even how well it works. Here are some simple steps to take before you use it.
1. Begin by popping in a detergent tablet and set the machine on a normal wash. Don’t go too far away because the purpose of this cycle is not only to give it an initial freshen up and get rid of any musty odours, but to check for leaks. Now place a bottle of Finish Dishwasher Cleaner into the machine and run another cycle. The cleaner will remove any remaining grease and lime scale and leave your machine 100% clean and smelling fresh.
2. Assuming there were no leaks, knocks or rattles that would require an engineer’s visit, wait for the machine to cool down then remove the racks, utensil holder and the spinning arms. Make sure the holes in the spinning arms are clear so that water can run through them freely. A toothpick will help you remove any debris that’s blocking them.
3. Fill a bowl of hot water and mix with a strong liquid detergent. Wipe the inside of the machine, paying particular attention to areas around the door where food and waste accumulates. Use a cotton bud to wipe round the door seal to make sure it’s really clean and watertight.
4. Inspect the grill or grate in the bottom of the dishwasher where the waste water collects. Remove any food particles. Do the same with the filter and the utensil holder that may also be harbouring food debris. You may need to take an old toothbrush to this to get into all the nooks and crannies.
5. To avoid lime scale building up in your machine top up with Finish Dishwasher Salt. The salt softens water in hard water areas, avoiding not only lime scale build up, but also water marks on your glasses and dishes. Replace the arms, racks and utensil holder.
6. Top up with Finish Rinse Aid that not only helps to prevent water spots on your glasses and crockery but rinses away residue. Finally clip a dishwasher freshener to the upper basket for a clean, fresh scent every time you open the door.
7. Take the opportunity to give the outside a wipe-over with a damp cloth.